John Roth Memorial Tribute

Meetings, forum issues, general announcements

Re: John Roth Memorial Tribute

Postby 95vtr250 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:12 am

On behalf of the Gateway Off-Road Cyclists and myself personally, I wish to express our deepest condolences on this tragedy. John Roth was a dear friend to many of our members, was always a pleasure to work with and a person to learn from. His goals were high, but John had the passion and tenacity to make them happen without fault. His achievements were enormous and hard to fathom for most of us, although we learned and tried to follow by his example. We will all enjoy and benefit from the legacy he leaves behind.

We’ll miss you John (I can split that log with one swing) Roth!

Bryan Adams
GORC President
95vtr250

Postby Baraq » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:12 am

John touched so many people, he just had a way about that him that is truly unique. I met him a little over a year ago and I saw immediately his drive and passion for the outdoors. This passion quickly became incorporated into my own and I was hooked. I have met so many people since then, some have become very close friends of mine, none of whom I would have ever met had it not been for this organization. I'm grateful for knowing John and will always remember him to new friends I meet in life. His legacy will live on with every step anyone takes on the Ozark trail.

--Baraq Isbell
I think I am, therefore, I am...... I think.
Baraq

Postby charley roth » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:03 pm

As the parents of John, it is consoling and heartwarming to read the tributes and to realize how he was cherished and his company enjoyed by so many people.

The Ozark Trail was John's passion and his long range vision was to lengthen and extend it to meet up with the trail in Arkansas and to hopefully wind up with a trail that could be enjoyed by people from all over the country, and indeed, the world.

One of the greatest tributes possible would be for you members and volunteers to find the leadership and help to eventually make this dream come true.

Again, we thank you for your kind words and in particular, the photos posted by Hikesalot.

Charley and Marie Roth
Last edited by charley roth on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charley roth

Postby Steve C » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:00 pm

I am going to be posting a few photos that capture the essence of John to me.

Forest ribbon has more than one use!

AHS Volunteer of the Year 2003

Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:06 pm

USFS Volunteer of the Year 2005

Beach Party 2003

The trail blazer

Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:31 pm

Arrrgggggg

At the Middle Fork grand opening... remember the wind that day?

Steve C

Postby campdoctor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:05 pm

There were days and times when John drove me CRAZY. I will remember that about him...

But more than that I will remember the breathtaking bear hugs he would greet me with at every OTA event.

The "puppy" story from the very first time I met him at Sutton Bluff, on 6/25/05...which is also the first day I met someone else who has become incredibly special and important to me...the day John turned off the generator of an RV where, unbeknownst to him, a litter of puppies were staying (the puppies were okay and we had a story to tell about John ad infinitum...he was always a good sport about it)...

The jokes...the penguin jokes (no, it's just ice cream)...the llama jokes...the "cod" jokes...

The time he agreed to camp with me and the Missouri Conservationist photographer because I was a bit anxious about camping on top of a mountain with a man I had never met. I never got to give him the steak dinner I promised him for that...

The meteor shower parties at the farm...the board meetings, the flagging trips, the sawing trips...

The incredible passion, the endless energy, the vision, the generosity, the good heart...these are all parts of John that I will remember, and will miss. I am so grateful to John for all the people and the memories the OTA brought into my life, and for giving me a chance to combine my love of the outdoors with a way to contribute to society.

It's hard to believe I'll never see him coming down the trail, drenched in sweat, smiling that impish grin. I know we will find a way to keep his memory and his legacy alive.
Proud mama of the 4 miles of the Blair Creek section from 106 north.
campdoctor

Postby JeffG » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:59 pm

I first met John in Jan 03 at what was the 2nd or 3rd official work event for the Middle Fork section (it was called North Karkaghne back then). I think I may have been the only newbie in the group that day and John really took the time to show me the ropes. Needless to say I was hooked and started coming to more work parties.

a few weeks late I had signed up for a work party and the Friday evening before it I get a call from John saying I was the only person who signed up. Instead of just cancelling it he told me if I did not mind coming down he would be glad to go out with me. So I meet him at the work site and as we are slowly taking his truck down a very narrow and bumpy fire road somehow the conversation turned to the OTA needing someone who could send out the weekly emails. Well for some reason I said I could do that and ever since then it just has evolved.

Since I am also the keep of the attendance statistics, here are some John's. John did have a habit of forgetting to report the work he did so these are only the ones I have official records for. Odds are you could double everything and not be close to what he really did.

He was at 254 events (18 Mega Events) and he was the crew leader/coordinator for most of them.

He saw the Mega Events go from 17 people in Sep 03 to 185 this past April 09.

He had volunteered over 2800 hours in the 5 1/2 years since he started the OTA.

1246 different people have attended these events and I am sure he had met every single one.

You will be missed
JeffG

Postby palcheck » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:05 am

If we’re lucky enough on this earth we each find worthy roles that brings forth a passion within us, while serving the greater good––John defined and lived his along the OT, always with a big smile and gladly sharing his enthusiasm and knowledge with others, causing us all to have some fun along the way.

God’s peace, John. May our paths cross again down the trail.

–Paul Barbercheck
palcheck

Postby Steve C » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 am

Steve C

Postby Farmboy491 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:47 am

As Johns' cousin, I've known him my whole life. He was destined to be outdoors from the onset. As a kid, John would come to our farm with his folks for Thanksgiving or other holidays and was always intrigued by the "happenings" on the farm and with the wildlife there. It comes as no surprise to me that John wound up as a leader in promoting outdoor activities and literally forging paths for others to follow to enjoy nature and the great Ozarks outdoors. I am thankful he was able to pursue his dreams and exited this earth doing what he wanted to do. I pray that we all have that opportunity. Although I only got to see John occasionally in later years, I always looked forward to seeing him and his family when I could. Happy-go-lucky is my description, and always with a joke and smile. One of a kind and I will miss him until I see him again. The entries on this forum are a testimony to his impacts on the people around him. Thank you all for your kind words and support.

Brent Willeford
Farmboy491

Postby Coldspring » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:44 am

I believe this is the link to John's obituary.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/stltod ... =129380257

I don't think there is anything I can add that hasn't been said. John had the same impact on everyone he met. I'm not a big people person, but John was one of those few souls who's company I thoroughly enjoyed. I must admit I'm a bit jealous of those who got to spend more time with him, and for those who barely knew him, you missed out.

Every time I hike the OT and see an OT trail marker or sign I will think of him with a bit of sadness. It will take some time to get his memory into the back of my mind, but maybe that will be because of his spirit walking right along beside.
Coldspring

Postby Baraq » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:44 pm

Miss ya John.

I think I am, therefore, I am...... I think.
Baraq

Postby cdnicolls » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:26 pm

I had the privilege of working with John only twice but was inspired by his enthusiasm, knowledge and kindness. I think one way to remember his spark is to look at the photos he took of the volunteers working on the trail. Their reflections back at the man whose vision they were helping to achieve speak without words. Nature lost a voice when we lost him, but his memory will live on.

John, Happy Trails.
cdnicolls

Postby Sara » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:24 am

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said. I met my husband the first time I attended a trail-building event, which surely wouldn't have happened without John.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch has an article on the front page of the web site today.
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument
Sara

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements