Between The Rivers- 12/24/16

Tell us how the trail looked on your recent trip

Between The Rivers- 12/24/16

Postby cgrantmaledy » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Did my first AAT on the 4822 to J hwy, trail was in great shape, low usage but very readable after a heavy rain the previous evening. Signage on the first 2 miles is pretty intense, relaxing to what I would consider 'normal' thereafter. 8 logs I couldn't lift (possible that a dynamic duo could hoss some of them after they've dried out, but I was solo), but absolutely no issue walking over or around. links to log locations are in my work report. Plot at https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1494527343 if you're into that. Trail was in substantially better shape than I anticipated and would be pleasure for anyone who wants to take advantage of the weeks upcoming unseasonably warm weather.
cgrantmaledy

Re: Between The Rivers- 12/24/16

Postby Jim » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Thanks!
Jim

Postby Clint54 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Did the first seven miles south and back on this Between the Rivers section starting at the Hwy 60 TH on Friday, March 3, 2017. Around mile 3, before the trail intersection leading to Big Springs, I encountered a herd(?) of wild hogs. As I topped a hill, they were about 30 yards away from me rummaging around and just off the trail. I blew my whistle which I have strapped to my pack and they scattered like the wind. Following the adults were about 20 young piglets trying to get away from me as well. Really was quite a sight to see. I spent the remainder of the hike on high alert. I did not see them anywhere when I came back through the area. About an hour before I came upon them, I heard someone ahead of me shooting several times. I wondered if someone else on the same hike ran into them and shot at them to scare them away. I did not see anyone, however.
Clint54

Postby Jim » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:09 pm

I still have not seen any of these mysterious mobile bacon machines.
btw -
The name for a group of pigs depends on the animals' ages. A group of young pigs is called a drift, drove or litter. Groups of older pigs are called a sounder of swine, a team or passel of hogs or a singular of boars.
- Google - ;)
Jim

Return to Trail Conditions