Flood damage?

Tell us how the trail looked on your recent trip

Flood damage?

Postby lakotajm » Mon May 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Does anyone know how the trails are faring with the recent flooding?
lakotajm

Re: Flood damage?

Postby natedog627 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Hiked portions of the Eleven Points and Current River sections this weekend. On Eleven Points, about half a mile west of Highway 19 near Greer Crossing campground, where the trail splits into the high and low sections, there was (as of 5/6) about 1-2 feet of water for a distance of about 50 feet. Also a number of downed trees and very muddy for a few hundred feet before that. Also, near mile 13 on Eleven Points there is a short section which is near the river. In that area there was a large number of downed trees and the trail was not visible. But it is only a few hundred feet and possible to get through or around.

On Current River, about 2 miles north of the Hwy 60 TH at the Pike Creek crossing (as of 5/8) there were a number of small downed trees and some debris just south of the creek. But still passable through there. However, the creek was at least 3 feet deep, possibly more, and about 100 feet across. So until the water goes down there, you would have to swim across.
natedog627

Postby Hikes with Aussies » Mon May 22, 2017 2:24 pm

I appreciate your report natedog627. We are hoping to do the Between the Rivers and maybe some of the Eleven Point River sections this (Memorial Day) weekend. I was wondering if you or anyone else has done the entire upper or lower section of the BTRivers section recently (post flood). I saw the info about some sections in the Scenic Waterways were possibly still closed, but I'm unsure as to weather the 2 sections we want to do are included in that area and possibly closed. In a nutshell, can we plan to hike those 2 sections or should we plan to do different sections?
Hikes with Aussies

Postby mike » Tue May 23, 2017 9:36 am

Normally I would say the Between the Rivers section would be the section to escape any flood damage but this time I feel almost certain some of the hollows where the trail runs were like small rivers and might be a bit difficult to navigate. Most likely the OT blazes are still intact so finding/following the trail shouldn't be a big problem.

Eleven Point section where it crosses Hurricane Creek I'm sure is a mess. I suspect the "lower trails" east and west of Greers are probably gone or impassable. Upper trails should be fine.

I suspect there are few sections of trail that totally escaped any damage from the flood as it covered pretty much the entire area the trail runs through. Whatever section you end up on just be sure you have the trail maps and a compass just in case you have to make a detour.

Have fun!
Mike
mike

Postby MWBP_matt » Wed May 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Hikes with Aussies wrote:I appreciate your report natedog627. We are hoping to do the Between the Rivers and maybe some of the Eleven Point River sections this (Memorial Day) weekend. I was wondering if you or anyone else has done the entire upper or lower section of the BTRivers section recently (post flood). I saw the info about some sections in the Scenic Waterways were possibly still closed, but I'm unsure as to weather the 2 sections we want to do are included in that area and possibly closed. In a nutshell, can we plan to hike those 2 sections or should we plan to do different sections?

If you end up going Memorial Weekend please post when you get back. I have a trip planned for those two sections starting June 6th. Any additional post flood intel would be very much appreciated!
MWBP_matt

Postby lstuder » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:52 am

North Fork Section: I just returned from an attempt to maintain my section on the North Fork. I had heard that some bridges were knocked out (highway 14, AP ??) and it was clear that Dry Creek, which runs through my section had affected a low water crossing on CR 5210. Something is going on at the trailhead in Pomona, but I don't know what. FR 780 has a tree across it and a flat tire prevented me from further assessing the condition of the trail.
lstuder

Postby kslongrider » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:56 am

We were down working trail 2 weeks ago. The creek crossing below Hazel Creek campground has washed away any sign of the trail exiting the creek on the far side of the creek. We could see the trail markers on the far side but we had to scramble the horses up a steep side of the embankment to get up there. I will be going back next weekend to find a good route across the creek and clear a number of fallen trees 2.25 - 4.00 miles below Hazel Creek campground.
kslongrider

Return to Trail Conditions