Victory Horse Loop 1/6/18

Post a narrative about your trip on the Ozark Trail

Victory Horse Loop 1/6/18

Postby NDD » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:46 pm

I went for a bike ride on the Victory Horse Loop Trail (started at Wrangler Trailhead and biked to the west end of the loop). I will say that the trail is pretty clear, especially when compared to other parts of the Victory Trail proper. That said, on several parts the trail markers were hard to follow, notably up the first steep climb where the trail roughly parallels a logging road and there is a good deal of storm damage, where the trail intersects the logging road about a mile or so south of there where the blazing is unclear, and about another mile south of there where the trail again parallels another logging road. In all of these areas there is remnant storm damage. I am guessing the trail would be easier to see with less leaf litter or more traffic. I've also found that the plain metal colored trail markers can look a lot like lichen on the side of a tree (this is true at University Forest, as well). That said, it was a fun, albeit slow and often grueling, ride. I will likely continue to ride and hike it with some degree of regularity, and hopefully will be able to work on it when a work day is scheduled.

NDD

Re: Victory Horse Loop 1/6/18

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:53 am

Thanks for the trip report. Victory is on my list of todo's.
Here is the link to trail events.
Looks like maybe February 10 is the next possible chance for some Southern Trail Maintenance.
http://www.ozarktrail.com/events.php
Jim

Postby NDD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:20 pm

Jim wrote:Thanks for the trip report. Victory is on my list of todo's.
Here is the link to trail events.
Looks like maybe February 10 is the next possible chance for some Southern Trail Maintenance.
http://www.ozarktrail.com/events.php

Sounds good. I'm signed up in hopes that it will come my way, either Victory or Wappapello. I see a lot of potential in the Victory trail, but it seems to be caught in some kind of feedback loop in which the trail isn't clear and can be hard to follow because people don't often use it and people don't often use it because it is not clear and hard to follow. I wonder what kind of usage this trail got prior to the massive damage caused by the tornado a few years back?
NDD

Postby Jim » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 pm

I think the usage has been limited. Mostly equestrians. Mountain biking is progressing further south, just need more riders taking an interest in the trail. Council Bluff Lake and Middle Fork is 100 miles one way for me... Drive time limits ride time. Heading further South requires a sizable time extension.

Keep at it. Maybe hit up the bike shop in Poplar Bluff, Farmington and other areas to add some more riders.

keep posting here and we will get some form of a workday scheduled.
Jim

Return to Trip Reports