Personal Locator Beacons?

A discussion group just for hikers

Personal Locator Beacons?

Postby kconafly » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:52 am

Does anyone use a personal locator beacon (such as ACR or McMurdo) makes when hiking in the backcountry areas of Missouri? When would you consider it important to carry one?
kconafly

Re: Personal Locator Beacons?

Postby jyancey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:07 pm

When I travel in truly remote areas or for long duration in the backcountry I carry a DeLorme (now Garmin) InReach. It has an emergency button (like a PLB), but it can also send and receive routine text messages. The subscription is pretty reasonable, and it is suspendable. It also displays GPS coordinates and weather forecasts. It can be paired with a smartphone for extended messaging, etc. but I have not used those features. Your loved ones at home can track your position and progress online if you wish.
All in all, it is a great piece of kit for great peace of mind.
jyancey

Postby kconafly » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:31 pm

jyancey Thanks for the insight.
kconafly

Postby taertman » Fri May 26, 2017 12:56 pm

I use spot messenger and it works great. I always carry one if I'm in a region with no cell service.

http://www.findmespot.com
taertman

Postby Ataklife » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:21 pm

No... I do not carry one. Many times I do wonder what would happen if I sprained an ankle or broke a leg 5 plus miles away from the nearest paved road. I hiked the 66 miles from Onondaga SP to DD 32 trail head in December. I saw two construction workers in a pickup truck at Bass River Resort near mile 12 on the first day and did not see another person until day 4 a mile from DD 32 trail head when I startled a hunter sleeping on a log on the trail. I rarely see people on trail with the exception of Bell Mountain and the Taum Sauk section. But if something bad did happen I feel I usually come across or near some paved road every 5 to 15 miles. I feel more adventurous and self-dependent or self-reliant without one. That being said I do carry a cell phone and usually a small can of bear spray. The beacons are kind of pricey and I think a subscription to a service is required. Not for me, but to each their own.
Ataklife

Return to Hiker Talk