Help identifying a snake

A discussion group just for hikers

Help identifying a snake

Postby philman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:23 am

Did Hwy 21 to Hwy N of the Taum Sauk section last weekend and ran across this right in the middle of the trail. Maybe 8-10 in. long. Thought possibly a Pygmy rattle snake but couldn't make out any rattles. Any ideas?

20170902_111847 - Edited.jpg
20170902_111847 - Edited.jpg (209.66 KiB) Viewed 94 times
philman

Re: Help identifying a snake

Postby philman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:06 pm

I believe I've answered my own question. I think it's an Eastern Hognose. Can anyone confirm this?
philman

Postby bikehikefish » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:15 pm

A death adder, I am sure!

I think you may be correct that it is a hognose snake. Googling pictures of hognose snakes and rattlesnakes, they are remarkably similar. It seems like on a hognose, the dark dot on the lower part of each side of the body is centered between each dark band on the snake's back, as opposed to the dark dot on the lower part of a rattlesnake's body is directly below each dark band. This seems to be true for both massasauga and pygmy rattlesnakes, at least to my untrained eye. Maybe someone else can give you a positive ID.

The group campground at Taum Sauk is the only place in Missouri where I have seen a rattlesnake in the wild. It was not alive, having been recently dispatched by the group leader.
bikehikefish

Postby philman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks bikehikefish. Seems as though there's quite a variation in color from one hognose to another. Took me awhile but that's about the only conclusion I could come to.

Shame about the rattler at Taum Sauk. I've never seen one in the wild. That would have been cool...at a safe distance of course :roll:!
philman

Return to Hiker Talk