Parking at Taum Sauk Mtn/Council Bluffs trail heads?

A discussion group just for hikers

Parking at Taum Sauk Mtn/Council Bluffs trail heads?

Postby nerding81 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:41 pm

Looking to do an out and back from the Taum Sauk Mtn Trail Head to Council Bluff Lake and back in late March. From the state parks site I see that the park is open from sun up to sun down. Is there anything I need to be aware of or do in advance in order to park my car there for several days? Two members of our group are going to be doing a point to point and leave from Council Bluffs trail head, is there anything they need to be aware of or do in advance in order to park their car there for a few days?
nerding81

Re: Parking at Taum Sauk Mtn/Council Bluffs trail heads?

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Taum Sauk could be accessed anytime. Should there be an unknown gate you could park at the camp grounds there. I am not aware of any parking fee's outside of the campground.

Council Bluff Lake - Couple Options - CBL Boat Ramp - $3/day
Option 2 - Some folks park by the pit toilet and weather station in the Wild Boar Ridge campground. - There may be a fee involved. I haven't seen any enforcement on that. Possibly the same $3/day.
Option 3 - Park at the Enough Boat Ramp off of Hwy 32. No fee for parking. No camping allowed at Lot but just inside the woodline it is authorized. Trail side camping rules apply.
Option 3 is the choice as it's easy in/out, you start and finish with lakeside hiking views ~ 4 miles to the Trace Creek intersection.
If you didn't feel like you have enough mileage on return you could finish out the lake loop . ~8 miles clockwise to Enough.

While one might think the paid parking is more secure... keep in mind there is no campground host in the off season. I would avoid a long stint parking at Hwy DD/32 as that lot sometimes gets windows pop'ed by those looking for a quick score of new underwear, and skinny jeans.

Enjoy the Hike!
Jim

Re: Parking at Taum Sauk Mtn/Council Bluffs trail heads?

Postby nerding81 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:42 pm

Park at the Enough Boat ramp and leave underwear and skinny jeans at home.... Thanks!
nerding81

Return to Hiker Talk